<VV> Corsa Gauge Re-Placement

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Nov 29 12:52:52 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/28/2006 8:42:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
georgedjones at gmail.com writes:

Roland,

Unless you're interested in doing some fiberglass work,  you're not likely to
find anything that's ready to bolt in. Most late model  owners choose to
mount their tachometers in the center position in the  stock dash. Ancillary
gauges tend to be mounted above the factory radio, as  long as you don't have
an A/C car. Others have tended to mount them under  the dash, and some have
even built center consoles and mounted them there.  Placement is limited only
by your imagination and your fabrication  abilities.

I have a friend who has a 65 Corsa. His vision capabilities are limited -  He
can drive okay, but the stock Corsa gauges are too dark for him to see
easily. I took apart an extra Corsa dash and tried to see an easy way to  update it
for him. The Corsa uses a separate Gauge and lens for the Tach and the
Speedo. (The Monza and 500 use a single lens for the whole dash). I picked up  the
latest Autometer catalog at SEMA. They show several series of gauges with
"electro-luminescent" illumination. Some with black lettering on a white
background. They have both a speedometer and a tachometer that would seem to fit
well in the Corsa "tunnels". The speedo is an electric one, with a driver/sender
on the cable to provide a pulse to the gauge. They provide a method of
calibration. Has anybody tried some of these gages? It looks like an easy  mounting
in the Corsa cluster, at least for the Tach and the Speedo. - Seth  Emerson