<VV> Car Names and Fuzzy Dice

bowtieguy at cox.net bowtieguy at cox.net
Wed Nov 29 13:37:54 EST 2006

Click and Clack of Car Talk fame say that Fuzzy Dice came from the 1930's and the Speakeasies of gambling and drinking. They were a symbol the high times and living of those who could afford it.

Car names, I am only guessing, came as a natural progression from naming ones mode of transportation in the old west, better know as a horse. Nelly Belle from Roy Rogers sidekick Pat was a Jeep. The Batmobile and The Black Beauty (Green Hornet) come to mind as well as Supercar the cartoon show. The car in Cheaper by the Dozen was Foolish Carriage and the car in Nanny and the Professor was named Arabella.

My cars along the way, 1966 "The Fearless Falcon", and 1976 "Nick Nova Secret Detective". The later model cars my life likes to name by colors such as the LGH, little green Honda, BBC, baby blue Camry, CBC, cashmere beige Camry and AGC, aloe green Camry or LGM, lean green machine. My  '82 Citation, '88 Nova and '91 Camry wagon had no names.

My 1957 Be lair Townsman 4 Dr wagon is known as the '57 and the my '64 Monza convertible is known as the Corvair. My every day driver, '95 Camry Wagon, is the Little Red Wagon or Big Red as it came from Nebraska.

Bob Vukas
bowtieguy at cox.net