<VV> Naming Cars

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Wed Nov 29 15:45:03 EST 2006

Most of my cars I don't name.  But I will tag the special ones.  The 66
Monza sitting in my garage, began its life in Columbus, Ohio.

One evening, a young man in High School was driving home in his 67 Butternut
Yellow, L79 Chevelle.  As near as I can tell, that was the 327/350 option.
Because of the yellow color, the car was dubbed "Thunder Chicken."  That
night, he managed to total the car by ramming a guard rail.  Since he was
still in HS, he could not convince the Chevy dealer to sell him the 67 L79
Nova that was sitting on the lot.  (Don't know the whole story.)  They would
however sell him the used 66 Monza over in the corner.  He needed a car, so
he settled on the Corvair.  As he pulled into his driveway, his mother came
out, saw the car, let out a laugh and exclaimed.  "That must be Chicken
Little!"  The name stuck, the car ended up staying in the family for nearly
40 years, was passed down to son and eventually made it to my garage.

The car is still affectionately known as "Chicken Little."

Cliff Tibbitts
66 Monza 140/4sp