Cars as family, was: <VV> Naming Cars

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Wed Nov 29 16:32:02 EST 2006

I can understand the practice. There are two kinds of car enthusiasts, I
think. There are those who trade cars like most people change socks, who
just like to have an interesting car to play with, and don't necessarily
get attached to any of them. Then there's those of us (like me) who tend
to keep a car forever. They actually DO become members of the family. So
naming them would be understandable.

While I've almost never named my cars, most of them DO become my "kids."
And selling any of them off is like selling them off to slavery. To
randomly sell them to just anyone is heresy - you have to adopt them out
to just the right family. Otherwise, they'd become field slaves - better
they be house slaves, if selling them is unavoidable.

-Mark