<VV> Brodie knobs?

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 30 01:32:38 EST 2006

We called them "suicide knobs" in my neck of the woods, so maybe?

I thought (mistakenly?) that it was because it could fail or catch in your
sleeve and you could end up off the road or into another vehicle.

This is what Wikipedia offers on the topic:

A brodie knob (alternate spelling brody knob) is a knob that attaches to the
steering wheel of an automobile. The knob swivels, and is intended to make
steering with one hand less difficult. Brodie knobs are also known as necker
knobs, presumably because they allow steering with one hand while the driver
wraps his other arm around his passenger's shoulders. Other names include
Suicide Knob and Steering Wheel Spinner.
Although brodie knobs were never widely popular, they enjoyed limited
popularity on trucks before the advent of power steering. Their main use
today is still in trucks, particularly semi trucks where they allow
simultaneous steering and operation of the radio. They also see extensive
use on forklift trucks used in warehouses, where frequent sharp turning is
required while moving goods about.

Wheel-spinners are also used for helping people with disabilities, such as
multiple sclerosis, to drive automobiles.

Decorative versions of brodie knobs are also available. Popular designs
include chrome-plated and 8 ball.

Later, JR