<VV> 60 oddities

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Oct 5 01:55:12 EDT 2006

At 05:14 hours 10/04/2006, MarPack57 at aol.com wrote:
>Pulled my 60 "700" sedan out of storage today to give it a little exercise.
>In the process of cleaning it up I noticed two odd things. This car was built
>in Sept 59. The drivers side fender has a round black plastic plug as if to
>cover up the aerial hole, but on the drivers side???

This is something that happened after Willow Run.    It may have been
for an add-on mirror, mounted on the fender ala GM "big cars" instead
of on the door, since a lot of the early "budget-based" Corvairs
didn't have a factory installed outside rear view mirror.

>Also the half moon stainless
>gas door protector

That also happened after Willow Run.   No 500s or 700s had that
protector trim from the factory, and even then it wasn't a '60 option
to begin with.   If it's on a 500 or 700 someone else put it on the car.

>is riveted on not sheet metal screws. Factory????

Nope...  jackleg.   The trim was screwed on when the factory
installed it on 900s after '62.

>This
>car is not optioned at all having no radio, non fold down rear seat,
>but has a
>PG and heater.
>   Any thoughts?

Is it an actual 700, and not a 500?  (does it have beltline stainless
trim around the perimeter of the car?)    The very early cars were
mostly 500s, from what I've seen/heard so far, with the better
outfitted 700s becoming more plentiful after the first few weeks of
production, and the truly early '60s had some distinct differences
like the horn location, in the front lower pan below the bumper,
firing through three slots in the sheet metal instead of being inside
the fenders behind mud guards.    Depending on how early your car is,
it could also have different front doors than later '60 model 'Vairs.

tony..