<VV> NECC Lime Rock report

tim mahler flat6vair at insightbb.com
Wed Oct 4 22:57:43 EDT 2006

VBG

Street tires,  a good strong 140 in a late model Fitch Sprint, and Lime
Rock.  Such fun.

The Car show was cool with some 22 Corvairs of all types on the ground.
Only one Fitch Sprint in Fitch territory,  and that one travelled from
Illinois.  Two others were at the Saratoga Auto Musuem some 2 hours away,
which several Corvair enthusiasts visited the day before. (think I count 6
corvairs outside the museum)  The museum volunteers are great.  and the
Fitch exhibit  was impressive.

At the track,  I was the slowest Corvair again.   Soemthing to do with the
decision to run on true street tires.  360 plus wear rating -- hard.  Skinny
with 195s with a 70 profile --lots of sidewall flex.  It was the challenge
of it.  I threw the car around the track as best I could.  reaching 6200 rpm
on the back chicanes in 3rd and roughly 95 on the front stretch in 4th
(speedo broke,  so that's tach times 2 with a 3.55:1 ).  Not nearly as fast
as the fast Corvairs.  but learned a lot at the slower speed.    Need to
work on my double apex of Big Ben.  tended to do the novice follow the
inside track vs a true double apex.   At the lone apex, I tried to follow
Ken Ks advice to apex very late,  turn left when you see grass,  but just
couldn't pull the trigger on most of my laps.  When I did,  the car was set
up nicely on the left side of the track for the next right and the back
chicanes --  That really felt good.

It was a good time on a great track.  If you haven't been there,  go before
its too late.

tim mahler
62, 68 Fitch Sprints
and #3 (probably still too loud for LimeRock) goodwrench car