<VV> Synthetic oil lab analysis analysis

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 6 00:47:08 EDT 2006

I have fifteen cases of 10w-40 synthetic motor oil that my father, who
was the owner/mechanic of the '65 that I have (Corvair content), bought
back in the late 70's.  He was trying to start a home business selling
the oil (not cheap stuff at the time) and Stilko oil filters (tissue
paper element oil filters that are housed in an aluminum, reusable,
finned canister, which I have one canister for the Monza and three
cases of canisters for a different type of engine).  To make a long
story short, he used the filter and the synthetic oil in the '65 for
about eight years and took many out of town trips (once from Texas to
Florida and back while traveling to attend the Atlanta CORSA
convention) without incident.
Any who, I recently sent a sample from an unopened (as they all are)
bottle in a plastic screw top container to a lab in CA to have it
tested for viability.  The results:
"ABNORMAL: Abnormal test results are present. Fuel detected in
lubricant.  Please provide a (sic an) oil reference for analysis.  Mark
the sample.
'REFERENCE'  and indicate the FULL NAME and GRADE (strange, as I copied
the entire contents of the label of the bottle and included it in the
sample) of the oil.  All future analyses using this oil type could then
be compared against this reference.  This action will improve the
accuracy of the FTIR analysis.  Chromium indicates ring wear is
present.  Drain oil and change filter(s).  Check for proper operation
of fuel delivery system.  Additional sample is needed to establish
trend. "

On the graphic (bar graph) analysis, levels of oxidation, fuel, and
chromium were either at warning levels (fuel), or off the chart (oxy
and chrome).

There is one part of the chart that reads:
Vis @100 Deg C m        Minimum 12.00      Maximum 16.80     and then
what appears to be my sample:  14.19

Ok, I've heard of wine turning to vinegar if it is not kept under ideal
conditions, but will synthetic oil change to a gas and chromium
mixture.  I plan to call them tomorrow to ask about the results and
could use some advise as to whether this seems reasonable or not.  The
oil has been dry stored but not in heated or cooled conditions in West
Texas for most of its shelf life.   I would like to use the oil in the
'65 if possible.  It is apparently a grade that is usable in cars made
before around 1986.

Any information anyone can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,
Stephen U