<VV> Anyone have any experience with one of these? Very Little Corvair- 63 'brier FS

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Fri Oct 6 08:29:04 EDT 2006

Hey guys and gals,
Sorry to bother the group with this, but I was just given a 1991 VW Jetta  GL
sedan, ECO-diesel, 5 spd, with 254K miles on it... I got a call late last
week from an old and dear friend (sort of a former girlfriend from 20 years
ago), who is moving to the LA area (currently reside in Indy) and she was
wanting to find out what to do with this car... my buddy Kenny was here and  since
he's looking for something and he was willing to drive up, he said sure...
after getting there, we looked it over... engine is oily (needs at least a valve
cover gasket, for starters) and the sides are scratched up (from the
handlebars  on the kids bikes when they were little)... starts fine, runs fine, needs
tires  and struts... Kenny decided he didn't want it, but she asked me "Can
you operate  a pressure washer?".... "Sure" I said... "Can you caulk a doorway
for me? The  trim and the doorway have a gap.".... "Sure" I said... "How about
a lawnmower?  Need one? and this kerosene heater... some gun powder... you
still have that  .410 Mossberg? Here's 3 boxes of shells... you have a .12 gauge
and a .38 too,  right? And that Ruger 22?... we can't take it with us... they
won't ship live  ammo...."
So, with Kenny and Sarah's help (Sarah wanted to come and see the car, just
in case), we weeded the flower bed, pressure washed the house, caulked the
doorway, and cleared out all the oil, chemicals, and ammo that I had a use
for... and she handed me the title of the car with "$1.00" marked in the "price
paid" box... and she wouldn't even take the dollar! She said "I think it will
be  the perfect car for your daughter when she gets her license... don't
you?"... so  I now have this VW (my first in over 16 years)...
Anyone have any experience with this type car and engine? It's a Turbo
diesel, 1.6L, 69 HP, and it'll scoot....
Cheryl has made it clear to me that I need to sell the "late" '63
Greenbrier... the one that got the new clutch put in it in Lexington in 2004  during the
convention... it has a very nice 64 wood wheel (but it has the larger  spline
hub, so it would fit 60-63 and 67-69), tinted windshield, is a 4  speed, and
has the car type floor mounted shifter... it needs a battery, a  parking brake
cable, and maybe a clutch cable... most of all it needs to be  driven, which
I've not been able to do in over 4 years, barring the  day I drove it home
from the convention in June 2004...
If anyone is interested, drop me a note... I can give you more details  about
it... I'll figure on a price in a few days, but it will be in the
$1500-$2000 range... Maybe a little less if I pull the wood wheel off and sell  it on
ebay... but not by much...
It's sitting here in my driveway... find White Mills, KY and you'll see
where I am... Cheryl said it's starting to look like a used car lot around here,
and I hate to say it, but she's right.... It needs a better home than I can
give  it.
So there ya have it... anyone who can give me info on this VW please reply
off list... as well as anyone looking for a Greenbrier to purchase.
Thanks!
Lonzo

Lon Anderson  in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Derby City Corvair, Central Ky  Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly Editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg
1963  Greenbrier 110/4spd... needs a new home
1964 700 sedan 95/pg
1969 Monza  110/pg