<VV> Strange (?) double failure / Not really (humor?)

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 8 02:48:45 EDT 2006

Well Well .............apparently the GNRT HeadNut didn't have the
proper "Balls for Racing"
as his Team slogan claims !!! <GGG> Maybe he used BBRT Balls instead
of quality ULTRA
BALLS from DeckRug Enterprises Inc. DREI is a major sponsor of WTBRT
and we have never
lost our lower balls or nuts from parking in a flat driveway in
Kansas !!! Maybe the CIC of BBRT
can advise you. REMEMBER you turned down the Lucrative business
chance to become the
MidWest Rep of ULTRA parts from DeckRug Enterprises Inc. Ltd.
Esq.  and of course in the process
missed the chance to join  WTBRT as well !!!

FrontMan
WTBRT PR

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

At 01:05 AM 10/8/2006, you wrote:
>I thought this was somewhat strange and I thought you might be  interested...
>
>About 5 years ago I rebuilt the front end in my coupe, new everything. I  was
>getting it ready for an autocross tomorrow and was backing it out of the
>garage when BOOM. The driver's side lower ball joint nut popped off
>and the ball
>joint shaft came out of the steering knuckle. Fortunately for me, the threads
>in  the nut were the one's that stripped out. There was no sign of the cotter
>key.  Replaced the nut and cotter key and all is well.
>
>I decided to check all of the other cotter keys on the front end. I found
>the passenger side lower ball joint to also have a failed cotter
>key. There was
>still part of the key in position, but I was unable to remove the residue.
>Turning the nut only turned the ball joint shaft. I had to liberate the nut
>with  the careful use of a Dremel. Another new nut and cotter key
>and all is back
>  together.
>
>Anyhow, what could cause the failure of these two cotter keys?
>
>Ned

CORSA Member
CORSA Tri-membership Chairman
Corvair Atlanta Member