<VV> '66 steering-wheel on '69 column - possible?

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Oct 8 13:06:04 EDT 2006

>Fellow club members asked me if a '66 steering wheel (standard black
>one with horn ring) will fit in his '69 car.

Short answer is no.

Long answer is the 64-66 had a 5/8" spline on the steering shaft, 67-69 has
a 3/4" spline. As near as I can tell, the 5/8" spline is unique to the
64-66 Corvair, other GM seems to have used the 3/4" spline for just about
everything else. I imagine a good machine shop could drill and respline the
66 wheel to fit the 67-69 column but have never heard of it being done.

Remember also that the 60-65 steering columns do not collapse on impact,
the 66 collapses some, and the 67-69 meet the safety standards of the time.

Also telescopic columns and wheels are different (may be the 3/4" spline
but I just do not know).

Padgett