<VV> Strange (?) double failure

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Sun Oct 8 23:28:48 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/8/2006 10:20:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
corvairduval at cox.net writes:

a. If  the ball joint part spins in the knuckle (spindle) then one of the
tapers  is bad ( recently I had a knucle taper too big on a 64 Spyder but
the ball  joint taper was fine) and needs replacing.

Ah, I didn't even think about the taper in the spindle (I was using knuckle
because I couldn't think of a better word) being worn out. Duh, it is over 40
years old. The stud was spinning when it was free of the spindle. Once I
loosened the nut on the passenger side (the side that was still together), the
stud came right out of the spindle. I'll take it all apart in the near future
and see if the taper is holding the ball joint.

Ned