<VV> Body, Paint & Interior Prices

Norm Witte norman.witte at comcast.net
Mon Oct 9 16:56:16 EDT 2006

Different shops do different things.  My body guy gave me an estimate on my '65 Corsa convertible and stuck to it.

The trick is to find someone whose bread and butter isn't insurance work and who is passionate about cars.  But remember that whether it's painting your car, remodelling your kitchen or just about anything else, there are three objectives:

1) High quality
2) Low price
3) Fast work

The best you can hope is to get two of the three.  Most artistes tend to work on their own schedule, not yours.  If you want to hire an artiste that is actually good at getting work out on time, you're gonna pay for it.

My ballpark on the '64 vert strip'n'paint:  $8k-$12k, depending on the level of detail desired and the amount of work required.  Media blasting and priming I think cost me about $1,200, though it may have been $1,800.

Rich, if you're not willing to do a fair amount of the work yourself, move this car to someone who is willing and keep looking.  Sooner or later you will find what you want and even though it may seem like a long time to wait for your car to come up, you will still be LOTS of time and money ahead.  They made a bunch of '64 Spyder convertibles, and they come up pretty regularly on eBay, including some really awesome cars.

YMMV.

--
Norm Witte
DeWitt, Michigan

The Internet: a fantastic new technology that combines the accuracy of fourth-hand hearsay with the excitement of typing.

snip

> a real resto shop will almost certainly not give you a firm quote, but
> should be willing to give you a ballpark number.
>
> Dave Keillor

snip