<VV> Body, Paint & Interior Prices

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Oct 9 17:07:55 EDT 2006

> The best you can hope is to get two of the three.  Most artistes tend
> to work on their own schedule, not yours.  If you want to hire an
> artiste that is actually good at getting work out on time, you're
> gonna pay for it.

I know that I already stated my opinion on this subject, but Norm brings
up a point too salient  to pass up.

Bodymen are NOT mechanics and don't work or think like one (in
general... the few that do are wildly successful). They are much more
like artists in nature and temperament... and tend to think circularly
vice linearly.

I think most old car collectors are more technically oriented in nature,
think  linearly, etc... and most Corvair owners seem to be this way than
old car fans in general, so many of us have a very difficult time
dealing with bodymen. Two of my last three paint jobs took nearly a year
to complete... but in the end I got a quality job at a reasonable
price... I fully support Norm's thesis on price versus quality versus
speed....

I have been so frustrated with getting work done that I have begun
equipping my shop with the necessary tools to relearn bodywork/painting....

Bill