<VV> Carb Questions - 64 Greenbrier

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Thu Oct 12 16:43:05 EDT 2006

THe carbs on my 64 Brier are about worn out.  (110/PG/3.55)

  Since it is presently on stands awaiting the reinstallation of the front crossmember and its going to get cold shortly, I am thinking.  That is usually a bad thing as it normally results in money going out the door and I havent got any more of that right now.

  Firstly - How can one tell if these are the correct 64 carbs?  There is a vent on the base and there is a power enrichment needle in each one.

  You can see light around the throttle shafts, so I think I know why the idle is not too good and I have been unable to get the chokes properly set.  Its hard to start on colder (well, cooler here) days.  Now, I am pretty good with this normally, my 67 starts instantly and fast idles and everything.  The Brier does neither of these things.

  Meanwhile,  I was rummaging around the shed and found 2 NOS 69 carbs that I had forgotten about.   Seeing as how I am out of $$$ after redoing the front crossmember bushings and springs and shocks (Thank You Ken Hand) and assuming that these carbs are of no particular value since I think Clarks still has some on the shelf, and further assuming that I jet them up to about 54 (gasohol year round here), am I setting myself up for major agita or will everything be wonderful.  The van is driven mostly around town with occasional hops on the freeway with many starts and stops doing deliveries.  Im running stock wheels with 205/75-14 tires.

  I have not used these particular type carbs on a PG engine before, although I put the other set I had on one of my 69 verts (110/4) while I had it and it ran like a top, smooth as glass idle and good power.  This engine generally runs ok once its warmed up, but not as good as I would like and can be a bear to start when cold.  I suspect this is due to the previously mentioned vacuum leak around the throttle shafts.

  Anyone else using the late, late carbs?  Any reason that they shouldnt work well?  I know I lose the enrichment circuit, but other than dumping some gas thru the engine, am I really going to notice?

  Everett Wilson
  North Richland Hills TX
  64 Brier 110/pg
  67 500 4dr 110/pg/ac - now with functioning brakes! Yea!!