<VV> Carb Questions - 64 Greenbrier

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 13 05:21:22 EDT 2006

Hi Everett,

The '69 carbs are a very nice unit, and would be choice!

They are functionally identical to your 1964 carbs, '64's dont have an
enrichment circuit either- what the '69 carbs do have is a very refined idle
circuit that allows very precise idle and is extra nice in Powerglides and
140's and as a byproduct reduces fuel consumption greatly on closed throttle
coasting. Theres a small green nylon screw adjusted thru the air horn to set
the idle limiter screw, its easily adjusted until the gas and heat swell the
nylon and make it brittle so get it adjusted correctly early on. It usually
breaks off on older carbs that have been in service a while if you tinker
with it. Earlier AIR carbs have a brass screw thats much more durable. Some
Parts Dept 1969 carbs appear to have stainless throttle shafts from the
factory, I've encountered this a couple occasions now.

The extra idle screw is easy to setup,

Count the turns needed to seat the screws in each carb, then back out both
carbs as far as the most backed out one, and one turn past that. Get the
engine running and warmed right up and set the idle speed (550 rpm or so in
neutral, 475-500 in Drive), balance and mixtures by 'lean roll' (start with
the idle mixture screws 3 turns out from seated lightly) which is to say,
turn the screws in slowly until the exhaust note changes to a slightly
mellower tone and the engine speed just barely starts to drift lower- chase
this setting, half a turn past this point the engine should lose about 50
rpm. Go back and forth and get both carbs right on the edge of the mellow
sound just before idle speed drops. Back the idle mixture screws out half a
turn from this point. Then, begin to play with the adjustment on the green
nylon screws one carb at a time until you are on the lean roll point again,
and adjust the green screws out about 1/4 turn 'rich' from there. Last,
reset the regular idle mixture screws again to the edge of lean roll and
you're done.

54's probably are a good choice for main jet if you live at less than 1000'
altitude. 53's would be a good 'general purpose' jet if you seldom are at
sea level.

I would advise setting the carbs carefully to the 1968 specs, and think
adding throttle shaft seal kits would be a very good investment as a way to
preserve your nice new throttle shafts so the new carbs dont wear out.

Hope that helps,
Brent Covey
Vancouver BC

> THe carbs on my 64 Brier are about worn out.  (110/PG/3.55)
I was rummaging around the shed and found 2 NOS 69 carbs that