<VV> WD-40 again - long - no Corvair

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sat Oct 14 18:33:45 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "grant young" <gyoungwolf at earthlink.net>
Subject: <VV> WD-40 again - long - no Corvair

> At the risk of starting a dreaded thread, I thought some of you might be
> interested some techy WD-40 stuff from a chemist friend who played with
it.
> Here are some snippets of a much longer note on it:
 My friends here in
> BR who go duck hunting down in the salt marshes of southern Louisiana
swear
> by WD-40 not only as a lubricant, but especially as a rust preventative
for
> their shotguns. -
******
As a gun guy, I must point out that WD40 is not really a very good
lubricant, as we usually think of it ... what we see is probably that WD40
is a pretty decent " cleaning tool " .... and since high quality guns have
proper heat treating, etc., they actually work pretty well if clean, but
with minimum lubrication; if you want a spray that leaves useable wax
protectorant, try Birchwood Casey's SHEATH ... found in sporting goods at
WallyWorld.

....... as an example I personally have ruined a few 2 stroke model racing
engines by spinning them over while spraying WD40 thru them ... ( the idea
is to clean out the nasty castor oil remnants for storage ) .... they
usually will gall within a few $$$seconds ...  I now spray MMO or ATF to
wash them out ...
.......That said, we still keep a lot of aerosol WE40 around our job shop,
for it's cleaning qualities ...but we clean, and then apply whatever is
needed after that... usually a Moly lube ( dry or in carrier ) or an
anti-"rust" ( RIG gun grease is excellent, so is Sheath ) .....  BTW, for
those who are addicted to gadgets and do-dads ..... get yourself some
_BALLISTOL _   spray oil? ... not sure what this stuff is, but it is dang
near as good as the advertising ...  our first can lasted 2 years, then we
kept finding more things it does, ... now we buy it by the case .... Google
it up and read the ads, bet you wind up ordering some (g)... you have to
order it direct, not carried by anywhere ... maybe Brownells gun supply.
*********
Just more trivia ... ken campbell, deltawerkes