<VV> Dual M/C working, only 1 wrinkle

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun Oct 15 12:50:59 EDT 2006

Folks,
After reading nine years of bug-a-boo stories on installation of dual cylinder M/C's on 65 or earlier cars, I decided to put on on the EUM.

Only came across one wrinkle, and this is something you want to check .  The EUM is an L.A. Assembled car, not a Willow Run job, but I don't think that this wrinkle is in the point of assembly more than where it was in the production run.

As you might know, 65's used 3/16 brake lines, in 66 they went to 1/4". (at least that's what I have come to believe from looking at enough of them).  Well the EUM had 2 lines in the junction block that were 3/16 and one that was 1/4".  So I'm imagining that this was a car built late in the 65 run at LA, and as is usual on the lines, you install what you have.

Now the  instructions don't tell you about having to remove the heater ducting and the toepan that conceals the cables to do this installation. Frankly, that scenario hadn't occured to or me when we were thinking about how much time this should take the average enthusiast to do.

 And you WON'T be getting a tube bender in the small space required to get that 1/4" line from the MC to make the turn where it has to.

Luckily, because I'm about half a jack-leg when it comes to such matters, I had my friend Eric working along side me doing some other things to the car, and his skill saved the day.

Other than that one wrinkle, It went on pretty easy, Bled out OK, and  hard/harder road tested well.

And, to answer the question, without doing anything else to the brake system, now each time the brake pedal is released, the brake lights turn off.  I think that the seals in the Single M/C had failed and was letting the rod come back too far, leaving the switch engaged even after adjusting the switch out all the way, and adjusting the rod too.

I bought the single M/C in 94, to put on one of my Corvans.  Didn't, and ended up putting it on the EUM in 2003.  It sat in the box inside the Corvan all those years.  I haven't pulled it apart yet, but although it was an A-1 Cardone Rebuilt (done before they moved their facilities to Mexico), I have I feeling I'm gonna find some junk in it.  When we flushed the system the brake fluid was kind of ugly for only being in the car for 3 years, and having only about 6000 miles of driving on it.

OTOH, the NEW dual M/C I installed was high quality, and installed with a minimum of surprises, and no horror stories.

I would recommend to anyone considering doing this job, if having never done it before, have a clubbie or friend who has around for reference or a helping hand.

I feel safer with the dual on there, even if it's a false sense.

Hank