<VV> Dash Pad gluing

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 15 14:22:22 EDT 2006

Hi Doug,

Here's a copy of what I posted on another list:

I didn't write it down but I think I remember it pretty clear even though it
has been about 10 years since I did it! That's because I went through so
many pads and did it so many times.

1) Make sure the glue is really set up good and done "off gassing". I say
that because if you follow the instructions they give you, it is not enough
time. I ended up having the pad get all wavy and dimpled in spots, like the
glue had eatten away at the foam padding and softened the cover. Looked
terrible. Very disappointing. The glue is like 3M "Super Weatherstrip
Adhesive" and comes in a can, not sure so go with what they supply. It is
not as thin as contact cement and sticks better.

2) Don't put the glue all over the dash. It is only needed in select spots.
Putting it everywhere will make it hard to get the dash pad all the way on
and in the proper location before the glue on the dash sticks to the glue on
the pad. The brow of the dash will contact first, thus the reason for no
glue there. You want the pad to slide all the way forward before it touches
the glue. Once the pad sticks, you are through, no possibility of saving it
once you get it stuck in the wrong position.

3) Do it with the windshield out if possible. Much easier to get it all the
way forward before it touches down and sticks if you can hold it through the
windshield opening.

4) There is a diagram of the proper place to put the glue on the dash and
pad in the 1964 Shop Manual under upholstery. Study it and only put glue in
those places.

5) Don't follow the instructions in the Shop Manual about working fast and
doing it before the glue drys, if you do, you'll end up with bubbles and the
dash pad will melt. Treat it like contact cement, let it dry and skin off
first. Make sure there are no puddles of liquid cement, spread it around.

I'm including a scan from the 1964 Shop Manual. It shows where to put the
dash glue. It is the only manual that shows it that I'm aware of. At the
time I purchased the dash pads, they just said to put the glue on top and
not to go under the "brow" of the dash. Wished they'd included this picture,
maybe they do now. Put the glue in the shaded portions or portions with an
"X" and no where else. You just want the glue to hold the dash pad to the
metal in places where it might raise up due to heat or age.

Hope this helps for next time!!  Don't feel bad, I wasn't satisfied until
I'd done it 3-4 times.  First two times for me were a disaster, sounds like
your nearly a natural at it.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

Doug Mackintosh said:

>Other than being extremely tedious and tricky, things went pretty well
(with some lessons learned for next time, if ever)
>until we get ready to glue it down. I managed to get it on, and it turned
out pretty well (but not located exactly where I
>wanted it).  But My Goodness! I could not figure out any way to land it in
the right place before it touched and stuck in
>the wrong place first.

>Who knows how to do the gluing step correctly so it actually goes down 1
time, and in the right place?