<VV> Early Rear Engine Mount Differences

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Oct 16 16:37:31 EDT 2006

At 05:50 AM 10/16/2006, Bryan Blackwell wrote:
>My understanding is you'll want a '64 mount to install a '64
>powerpack into a Lakewood.  The only difference I'm aware of from
>the '61 parts is the '64 bracket is shifted to the rear slightly to
>clear the harmonic balancer and a/c pulley combination.  The
>vertical dimension is the same.  Basically the engine bracket and
>mount should match.

Been there done that a few times, and the '64 motor mount is pretty
much the same as the '61-'63, not seen enough difference to cause me
to think twice about using the '61-'63 mount to do this.   The engine
mount bracket *is* different for the '64 engines so as to clear the
harmonic balancer.   The '64 bracket has a big "dimple" stamped into
it to allow clearance... actually the clearance is to allow the fan
belt to go on/come off, since the earlier "flat" bracket will bolt up
and work on an engine with a balancer... it just leaves no room to
get a fan belt past the space between the lip of the balancer and the
bracket unless that dimple is stamped in it.

You *can*, in a pinch, space the earlier bracket out with some
washers etc to allow the fan belt to go past the gap, but the '64
brackets are still not yet so scarce that someone should have to
resort to spacers just yet.   I picked up an extra '64 bracket at the
last VA Vair Fair for a few bucks, just in case.    Besides, if you
space the earlier bracket out too much, it can interfere with the
rear suspension's toe adjustment.    Locate and use a '64 bracket, or
pick up a '65-up bracket and weld up the two engine mount holes and
then redrill the "early" style single slot-hole.     Done that too,
works OK.

tony..