<VV> My New Vair!

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Wed Oct 18 10:51:58 EDT 2006

  I posted this on Corvair Center a day or ago.   I am so excited though I
have to post here as well

I had been casually keeping an eye out for a LM Convertible project for a
while.    Well I have wanted one since I was old enough to know what a car
was, but I do have my '63 converitble.

So my friend and I were looking on Ebay at a red on red 65.   Nice
looking for a project, but rust in mass amounts could be seen concealed in
the rockers.   Not good.

That got us thinking, lets look more seriously locally, afterall we are in
the SW and should find a good relatively rust free candidate.

So we found a red '66 that is practically rust free.     Nice and straight
as well.   Best part about it, is it has a tremendous amount of
accompanying paperwork.   30 years of registrations and reciepts for work
done on it.   All
of it by club members shops.

So it needs paint and a top.

I also will need to build it an engine.   I have a well worn 110 I will
put into it for the time being to get it on the road.   For the new
engine, I am thinking  95 heads, with a
milled step to set quench gap with a 304 late turbo cam.   This is for an
automatic.   Thoughts?  I have a good std crank, and a nitrided crank.
Both in standard  spec.  I am thinking save the nitrided for a
standard shift engine that will be driven hard, and use the other crank.

Anyway, it does not come home for a while.   So in the meantime I am
working on stuff I have that I can build now.   Did a new dash for it, and
a rebuilt alternator.

Here are some pictures of it:

http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/66-Monza/

Anyone have pictures of a nice red 66 convert with black interior they
could
send me?   So I can visualize the finished car!

-Geoff Johnson