<VV> Moving battery to the trunk

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Oct 18 17:20:39 EDT 2006

Rather than running it in the tunnel, you could run it outside.  To
avoid some of the issues with the cable, you might see if large enough
fusible links are available.  I ran the positive to the starter post,
and added a #10 from there to the body connector (horrid plastic
thingy) in the engine compartment.  A heavy ground cable from the neg
post to the body, and another from the engine to the spare tire mount
worked ok for me to complete the circuit, but running a cable to the
engine direct would be much better.  One of those cutoff switches is a
handy addition.

Rather than putting the battery in the middle of the trunk, you can
mount it to one side, or above the gas tank.  Be careful not to drill
holes into the tank.

BTW, I found this mod made a very noticeable difference in the balance
of the car.  I have read that on a front engine V8 car it's roughly the
same as setting the engine back ten inches.
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa