<VV> RPM & Dwell...

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 18 21:21:58 EDT 2006

Tony, since the Pertronix uses a Hall-effect transistor to do the switching,
I think dwell readings are meaningless. Further, it may not drive the dwell
meter adequately. So, were I you, I'd ignore the reading. Be sure to reset
the timing after the installation of the Pertronix because the trigger point
for the coil changes slightly.

Re the tach issue: make sure that the tach wire is on the negative terminal
of the coil. What you're seeing is strange, and I have no immediate
explanation for it. I've used a Pertronix for years with a stock Corsa tach
and everything functions as it should. Also, you should check the dash
ground. They are notorious for poor connections that can introduce really
weird instrument behavior.
HTH
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan