<VV> Pertronix 1 and engine "heat" ?

Robert O'Brien bob0017 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 19 20:35:19 EDT 2006

Hello V V,

I have been running a Pertronix 1 on my Spyder for a number of years.  Recently,  I discovered, that I was not running the red wire to a full switched 12 volts.  I found that I only had 3 volts going to it and have been experiencing poor performance under load and high speed in particular and generally poor gas milage.  Upon switching to a full 12 volts to the red wire I had immediate better performance.  It idles better, runs better under load and cruises beautifully at 65- 70 mph.  In addition the gas mileage is much better!  However I noticed that the temp gauge indicated that the engine is running a good (estimated) 50 to 60 degrees hotter.  At least it is hotter according to where on the temp gauge the car runs normally.  However I do not really believe that the engine is running hotter as everything appears as normal.  It just doesn't feel any hotter than normal.  In testing this theory I hooked the red wire to the original 3 volt set up and lo and behold the temp gauge indicated that indeed it was running cooler!  What is up with this?  Can the pertronix hooked up to 12 volts really affect the temp gauge?  I think the car is running well yet I do not like seeing the temp gauge reading so high.  Do I just have to get used to seeing higher temps indicated knowing full well that the car is running according to specs?  Or do I invest in either a new gauge and/or new temp sender?
Your input is really appreciated.  I will be in Palm Springs......
Bob O

Robert O'Brien
bob0017 at earthlink.net
Nothing Compares to Corvairs