<VV> Gas tank/Moving battery to the trunk

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sun Oct 22 15:00:15 EDT 2006

At 05:59 AM 10/22/2006, HallGrenn at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 10/22/2006 12:44:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>mygroups at frontiernet.net writes:
>
>I have  not liked having the gas tank up front
>

>Actually it is closer to the middle and better protected than any car of  the
>sixties and similar to the protection of modern FWD cars that place the tank
>in front of the rear axle and under the rear shelf.

I'll second this motion.   You never ever hear of a Corvair that
suffered a tank fire because of a collision, or much of any other
accident one way or another.    I saw a photo of a '60 sedan that had
been crash tested early on in the 'Vair program, impacted hard enough
against a wall that the entire front end of the car was crushed up
against the firewall.    There was no fire.

A while back, a couple of us picked up a '66 parts car that had
impacted a bridge abutment some years before, and had been left
sitting behind a commercial garage after someone had already relieved
it of the driveline, was told that the accident had killed the
driver, not hard to believe judging from the collapsed steering wheel
and bent column, plus the head sized hole in the windshield.    The
front of the car had tried to wrap itself around whatever it had
impacted, and was V-notched up to the crossmember which was bent as
well, tank was badly dented (and obviously unserviceable) but still
intact and still contained some very sour gasoline.   Several of us
cut the car up in Bill Burleson's back yard.   The only really useful
parts of the car was the sheet metal pieces aft of the doors which I
cut off and stashed in the storage building.   Deck lid and cove
panel as well.    It's all still there.

  'Vair fuel tanks are very well protected.

tony..