<VV> Gas tank location

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 22 12:30:29 EDT 2006

Tony...

The very early ones (don't recall exact date of change) had a solid (all
metal) filler neck.  This DID catch the fuel tank on fire in some left side
impact situations when the filler neck ripped from the gas tank causing
sparks which ignited the fuel.  I lost two friends who were burned to death
in just such an accident back in those days.  I came upon the scene just as
the fire was being extinguished.  The front half of the car was incinerated.
It was a sight I'll always remember and one I wish I had not seen.

The rubber coupling in the filler neck (second design?) essentially
corrected that problem as the top portion of the filler neck would then pull
free without sparks in that type of accident.

Even after mentioning that story -  I DO agree that the tank on a Vair is
located in the safest possible place.

Later, JR