<VV> Gas tank location

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Oct 23 14:10:51 EDT 2006

At 09:30 AM 10/22/2006, J R Read_HML wrote:
>Tony...
>
>The very early ones (don't recall exact date of change) had a solid
>(all metal) filler neck.  This DID catch the fuel tank on fire in
>some left side impact situations when the filler neck ripped from
>the gas tank causing sparks which ignited the fuel.

This must have been on very early production cars.  I've not seen one
of these tanks with an attached filler neck.   My '60 4-door tank has
a rubber coupling on it, as does the spare '60 tank I have on
hand.    Both '60 Vairs here were built in the spring of '60.

>Even after mentioning that story -  I DO agree that the tank on a
>Vair is located in the safest possible place.

Yep.   You have to work pretty hard to damage one, and harder yet to
light it.

tony..