<VV> An electrical problem

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sun Oct 22 16:27:56 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron" <ronh at owt.com>
Subject: <VV> An electrical problem

With the high beams on, the headlights started flickering rapidly like maybe
two or three times a second.  Switching to the low beams stopped it and they
worked OK.  Any Ideas?

RonH
61 Wagon
**********
well, here an easy place to start:::  floor dipper switch may be faulty on "
high beam" position.  get a new one, they are cheap and easy to replace.
Have someone directly watch all your headlights while you dip the switch,
and see if just the high beams flicker, or all the beams ...

Next, shut the engine off and try the high/low beams trick again.  It could
be a partly faulty alternator/diode/rectifier/regulator (g) .....  I
currently ( get it ? heh ) have a POS ford tempo that does almost the same
thing, and all the lights ( instruments etc ) flicker at the same time,
until I stop the engine... so I am thinking alternator problems..... hello
vendors, love tho$e guy$ ....

... down the line I find battery hookup cables are often bad about a foot
down into the insulation ... occasionally a battery itself is partly "
broken", and might work while under lighter loads .... try low beams, but
with high heater motor load added, or put a headlamp load jumpered across
the battery and see if any clues show up.

whew ... page 2 , page 3 , page 4 .....

just some thoughts, ken campbell, deltawerkes