<VV> 1965-1967 110HP with a/c low compression engine

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sun Oct 22 17:43:54 EDT 2006

Brent,

My advice, if you're concerned about it being a slug, is to start with
an unmolested '67 110 engine. They generally seem to perform better than
any other years' engines, for some unknown reason. You also didn't
mention the trans you'd be using, which would affect the performance.
BTW, the '67 110 with a/c is the only one other than the turbo that had
a 24 degree advance. No wonder that my '67 convert could always blow the
doors off any other 110 I ever owned, despite the added weight of not
only the convert body but the a/c as well! I even remember that stock
'67 non-a/c coupe I owned that was incredibly quick for a glide.

Right now, I've been playing around with a '67 110 manual a/c engine.
It's pretty much a stock rebuild, but with some variations. I had the
heads milled to eliminate the gasket "step" and the pistons octane-cut
to match (mill work done by Warren LeVeque). I also had the heads
deflashed. While it won't run on regular, it seems to be reasonably
quick for a 110. Also, the milage was initially disappointing, though it
has been improving as the engine breaks in. So far, it's too early to
tell what it'll settle in at, but I'm not only pleased with its
reasonably strong performance but am impressed with just how quiet it
is. I'd recommend such an engine to you.

-Mark C