<VV> 1965-1967 110HP with a/c low compression engine

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Oct 22 18:07:50 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/22/2006 12:51:01 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
brentcovey at hotmail.com writes:

I would  expect its economy to be outstanding at highway speeds with the
tremendous  ignition advance specified for this combo. I also wonder if there is a
special  distributor or vacuum advance unit used on this combo, seems the
usual 110  distributor would be rather excessive for advance,

Any advice or  experiences would be very welcome,
Brent Covey

Hi Brent,
I have no experience with this kind of setup, but can offer some thoughts  on
the subject. First this setup was used only on the 1966 and 67 110 engines
with powerglide. Not any with MT. According to all the Chev specs, these
engines  all used the standard 1110319 distributor, same as for the MT engines. They
also  all used the same VA as the 110 MT engines.
The 110 engines with both PG and A/C used a static timing of 24 degrees
compared to the 14 deg for the MT engines. By doing so, there must have been  some
kind of problem the factory was trying to sidestep in my opinion. And
remember, really high octane gas was then available then to counteract any
potential detonation problems. Using so much advance (24 initial+ 20 distr = 44  deg)
seems to have placed the spark timing way past MBT and must have been done
for cooling. At any rate, I'd be suspicious of such a setup having this much
timing with or without 8:1 heads. This would be especially true with today's
octanes.
Just my opinion. You may get other thoughts.

Regards,
Bob Helt