<VV> Re: GAS TANK PROTECTION in Corvairs

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sun Oct 22 20:51:43 EDT 2006

Back in the old days, I saw a late model crash head-on into a telephone
pole, right up to the cowl, and the guy walked home from the accident.

My own experience was similar when I rear-ended a 1958 T-Bird that was
"parked" on the Southern State Parkway (the driver took the "Park" in
"Parkway" too literally ?)

Traffic was doing about 60-65 when I looked at the driver, who was off the
side of the road waving his arms like a nut, enough to distract me, and long
enough that I never saw his car before I hit it.

All I remember was a big "Whoosh !" as the front end collapsed and took up
the shock.

Had I been driving my 1968 Camaro, which would have pushed the engine back
who-knows-where, I may not be here today.

The gas tank, nestled behind the front cross-member was never touched.

http://www.foresightsoftware.com/Corvairs/CorsaTbirdCrash.htm

You can see the imprint that the T-birds rear lights left in my front deck
lid.

I had no injuries, and owe that "luck" to driving my favorite car (still
is).

Chaz