<VV> Detonation woes

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Oct 23 00:12:41 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/22/2006 8:49:42 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
lloydscorvan at yahoo.com writes:

Is it  possible to use another one from another engine that is not a 102 h.p.
Since I  have some spare ones laying around, is there a part # that is
compatible?  Thanks for all the suggestions from my past questions.

Hi
Sure you can change distributors, but I really wonder about this  problem.
First, are you SURE that it is detonation you are getting and not some  other
kind of noise?

What is the history of this engine? has it always had this detonation? Or
have some changes been made, or work done on the engine?

If you are really sure, then I suggest you buy/borrow a dial back  timing
light. About $30 at Autozone or similar parts houses. Remove the VA hose  and
plug it. Then connect the light to the #1 plug wire and with the engine  running
in neutral (brake set) , check the actual timing at idle, 1000rpm, and
2000rpm. You should be about 13 deg at idle,  18 deg at 1000, and 25 deg at  2000.
Just for a final check, rev the engine to around 4500 rpm and see if the  total
advance is about 35-37 degrees. You may need an assistant to hold the
throttle steady while you do the dialbacks.
Let us know what you find.

Regards,
Bob Helt