<VV> Distra Butte Or

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 23 20:01:38 EDT 2006

Hey Roger,

I think most of us go by the stamping on the top shroud for which cylinder
is which.  Is yours on backward?  Oh, won't go on that way.... This comes
dangerously close to which end of the engine is the FRONT and I don't want
to see that one get started again.

This subject has gone a while now, so I'm not sure the "exact" original
question or all that has been said.  I believe that it was mentioned the
lines (alignment marks) on the inner and outer portions of the HB are in
alignment AND that the alignment mark is pointing down instead of up.

Now, I've had (at least one) instance of installing the distributor 180
degrees from where it SHOULD have been.  That of course gives you a spark at
the top of the exhaust stroke and I don't recall the engine running like
that (well sort of), but lots of backfires and pops associated with that.
It only takes an instant to figure that one out.

I've also had (at least one) instance where I could not advance the
distributor far enough - the vacuum canister ran into something (the coil if
I recall correctly) before I could make that engine sort of run.  The
solution to that was to move the plug wires around - one hole and back the
advance back down to something that looked normal by the eyeball.  Started
and ran JF after that.

So, I'm suggesting that this distributor may be improperly installed - but
not necessarily 180 degrees off.  OR... as someone has suggested, there make
be a broken or missing woodruff key which would account for the mark to be
at the bottom - again NOT specifically 180 degrees off.

Later, JR