<VV> 1965-1967 110HP with a/c low compression engine

LastHamlet lasthamlet at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 23 09:13:32 EDT 2006

I am contemplating building a low compression engine
for an air
conditioned car, like Chevrolet does when a 110 is
ordered with air
conditioning; basically a normal 110HP, 3839891 cam,
with 95HP heads on it and a
ton of extra ignition advance....

I would sure be interested in feedback about this type
of engine, does
this combination offer any true advantages? Seems to
me it would be a
pretty docile and economical engine, but I wonder that
a regular old RH
110 HP engine might not just blow its doors off. I
would expect its
economy to be outstanding at highway speeds with the
tremendous ignition
advance specified for this combo. I also wonder if
there is a special
distributor or vacuum advance unit used on this combo,
seems the usual
110 distributor would be rather excessive for advance,

Any advice or experiences would be very welcome,
Brent Covey
Vancouver BC

Hello Brent,
I am new here, but there is one thing I do know for
fact, cause this is the very setup I have. As Far as I
know Mark is the only other one to have this setup as
well. It was ONLY available in 1967, and only with
cars that had A/C and Powerglide Tranny. 67 is one of
the most oddball years of all. I have several GM
Issued Books that speak of this engine. One is the
complete 1960-69 Distributor Graphs & Charts Book. For
one there is only one other engine that has that
timing plate(up to 24 degrees), and that is the 180
Turbo. The 180 is a low compression setup, however
that 1967 110-Power Pack Engine, as is is called in
the Distributor Book, is not low compression.
The 24 degrees, was sort of a GM sidestep, as Bob
mentioned, but was acheived because gas was much
better then. Now, even on our mordern normal high
test, don't even think that 24 degrees will be the
setting. Straight up, she will ping like a bad
Chrysler. You'll be ucky to get 14. (This is initial
at idle setting)
The side step was an effort to get more cooling
ability as that A6 compressor will cool a room and is
actually too large for the car(IMHO). Now, people even
add cooling fans, or even change to Sanden Compressor
to get rid of the heat of those A6 compressors.
Few people have read much about these engines, cause
there sre so few 67 with A/C and P/G setup to begin
with... let alone like mine, a convertible.
(Sidenote: Funny how gas has gotten worse, but oil has
gotten better... What a conundrum.)
I tried to keep this short, but that particular motor
is an oddball, and as Mark mentioned, is faster than
the standard 110 HP's, it really is. But again, it is
an ODDBALL... I should know, I myself, am an oddball.
I am by no means an authority on Corvairs, but this
setup is the one thing I do know. It was really hard
to get info on it too. I even called the few people I
knew about the subject, but will not mention names.
So, with that said, you have a choice to enter the
world of the odd, or do a general 110 setup, which
everybody is more familiar.
Best Of Regards,
Danny Barber