<VV> Detonation woes

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 24 02:38:16 EDT 2006

Lloyd,

I just sorted by "from" and reviewed about 4 messages that you sent on this.
I'm not sure that carb balance is the issue, but it certainly does not hurt
to check that.  I don't know the history of this car/engine but is there a
possibility the weights in the distributor are stuck (rusty)?  Also,
possibly that the points plate is quite worn and giving you erratic
performance?  I'd be looking in that (distributor) direction for starters.

I did not see any mention of trouble shooting on the distributor, other than
you had retarded the timing.  I have no first hand experience with a 102
engine and have not used anything but AC spark plugs, so can't speak to
those items which you had brought up.

How are the plug wires?  Try misting the engine with a spray bottle of water
on a relatively dark evening.  See if your spark is wandering all over the
place on the outside of the wires and/or the engine shrouding.

You DID mention headers, which (I assume they are not enclosed in any way)
would tend to make the engine warm up more slowly than normal - ala - no
lower shrouds.  Detonation normally occurs on fully warmed (sometimes overly
so) engines - as opposed to a relatively cold engine.  But, it is most
noticeable during medium to medium hard acceleration.  I'm just wondering if
you are hearing ping OR something else???  Are your headers fooling you in
some way?  Possibly creating a resonance at certain RPMs which SOUNDS like
ping?  Do they have a leak and you don't hear it anymore at higher Rs?

Don't know if any of this helps, but I may have touched on something that
you have overlooked.

Later, JR