<VV> 1965-1967 110HP with a/c low compression engine

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Tue Oct 24 16:05:46 EDT 2006

Bob Helt wrote:

> Similarily, the amount of
> squish  tended to vary for different heads using this design, but a squish area
> is still  a squish area. In heads having a relatively large squish gap, the
> gasket step  can be reduced or elininated to decrease the gap.

The thing to note, is that over about .050 the
effectiveness of the squish
gap decreases very quickly.  That is why ideally it should fall in that
range, and not too small so the piston cant contact the head on high revs.
The consequence is, this area is quenched and creates a skin of
unburned HC's that then go directly out the tailpipe.

Kind of makes me wonder why GM used such a big gasket step.  The idea was
known then.

-Geoff Johnson