<VV> Re: Hey there

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Tue Oct 24 23:32:08 EDT 2006

Hey thereDid I mention that I was doing 60 MPH when I hit the T-Bird ?

I never even saw it until it was about 2 car-lengths away, 60 MPH in the fast lane, and nowhere to turn.  Guard rail to the left and traffic to the right.  Blam !  Didn't even have time to try for the brakes - the car in front of me (an early "Bug") "alerted" me by jerking around the stalled T-Bird, but left no room to "follow" him.  That's all I remember, except my view going yellow as the deck lid folded up in front of me.

I had to search for the other car (careened about 250 feet down the road).

I'm certain that my Corsa convert could have negotiated the maneuver if I had had the time to do that.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: McNair, Tim
  To: chaz at ProperProPer.com
  Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 12:50 PM
  Subject: Hey there

  I saw you posting of the Corvair Crash,,,

  I'm new to the Corvair family of cars,, always a GM man mostly Chevy,, first Corvair I bought this year because a buddy of mine's wife decide he wasn't going to work on the Corvair in the garage after it sat for ten years so he was forced to sell it,, I got it for 700 bucks,, best and most fun investment I have made on a car,,,

  Well anyway,,, in your posting of a Corvair crash I had always wondered how the all steel heavy-er gauge metal Corvair would do compared to the micro thin body panels of today's vinyl plastic wonders,,,

  the picture you posted looks pretty bad,, I hope you were not hurt to severly,,,,,However you didn't clarify what you hit?? a wall a truck a Bug, a deer,,what??  and how fast were you going??,, other than the front damage were there any other "buckles" in the body or folds etc,,,,,,I like to watch car crash videos and in slow motion you can see on some cars body "flex" clear to the rear of the car in a frontal crash,,,

  So I guess some "other" VV members are thinking the same question ,, yeah bad crash but what took place,,,,

  If you were doing 10mph and hit a grocery cart and did that damage wow not good,,, but if you were doing say 50mph and hit a Dodge Ram full size truck, then WOW that little car really did hold up,,,,

  Well just a thought,,,again I hope you and your passengers were OK,,,

  Take Care

  Tim McNair

  PS,, I have a similar pic of my first Corvette 1979 L82 auto that I took out the telephone pole in my front yard at 60 mph hit dead center on the point of the front,, the "fiberglass front" was cracked and front frame bent but the passenger compartment was untouched and I walked away with bruises from the seat belt,,,!!!,,, I have since owned several vettes from that C3 design era and I feel very comfortable knowing the steel "bird cage" under the fiberglass will do a good job,,,,

  Take care