<VV> Traveling-Departed Governor

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Wed Oct 25 13:55:05 EDT 2006

I have two of those on my bench.  And there is apparently no way to reattach the darned tab.  I tried.   Its welded, but i dont see how it could be re-welded without burning the whole thing up.  But then, Im not a welder.

  The first tab failed right after I bought my 67 4 door in Des Moines.  It was karma as I was going to drive the thing back towards Ft Worth.  It failed on the way to the DSM Airport.  Good Thing, too.  When I trailered it home and removed the wheel bearings, the fronts were making metal, so I wouldnt have gotten very far.

  I broke the second one while replacing the first.  Didnt have it on quite straight and when I tightened the bolt, plink!  Off came that tab.  I was less than pleased.

  Everett Wilson
  North Richland Hills

Smitty Smith <vairologist at verizon.net> wrote:
  Smitty Says: On the way back from the Fall Affair one of our traveling companions hollered on the CB. Car dropped down into low gear and wouldn't shift up. So we held a war council and seeing red stuff running out the bottom decided that out in the cold and dark was no time to work on it. We of the Tidewater club have a standing policy that if someone has a disaster we will never desert them. So we used the locator (oh blessed book) and found a CORSA member fairly near that agreed to let us leave the car at his house for an over night. We doubled up in another car and made it the last hundred miles home. Next morning we went back with a tow bar to collect the car. Half a night thinking about the problem and missing sleep led me to believe the governer was at fault but that didn't explain the fluid running out the bottom. After jacking the car and getting stands under it I slid under with a flashlight. There was the governer hanging about 2 inches out of the
transmission.????? The mounting bolt was firmly holding the retaining tab which had come un welded from the governer. We slipped another governer on and were under way in a matter of minutes. I know I haven't heard of and seen everything but this failure was a new one for me.