<VV> Re: Proposed Website : Corvairs that have sacrificed their lives for their owners

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Oct 26 16:25:17 EDT 2006

At 07:02 PM 10/25/2006, Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per wrote:
>Ouch !
>
>Yours took it just like mine - all on the front driver's side.
>
>Shows just how well the unibody protects the occupants.

snip

>Maybe we should have a page for Corvairs that have sacrificed their
>lives for their owners, with a little mention of how well the
>occupants fared in the accident ?

I have one of those, a red '69 Monza that took a thunderous shot to
the LR fender by a Ford that ran a stop sign, spun the car around
sideways into a telephone pole on the corner at the intersection hard
enough to break the pole... and crush a Verizon terminal/distribution
box which caused a bit of a problem with phone service in the
neighborhood.   ...ripped that sucker right out of the ground, left a
wad of what resembled broom straw sticking out of the ground.   I
sustained only minor injuries which healed in a week or so.    The
car was a mess, windshield broken, RR quarter window broken, backlite
glass broken, RR fender crushed in by the pole far enough to damage
the wheel and pop the tire (also broke the backlite and quarterwindow
glass and bent the roof pillar), LR fender demolished, busted the
battery, bent the swing-arm, mangled the wheel-tire, twisted the rear
unibody and bent both rear box-members in the engine bay and buckled
the tops of both rear fenders.

In spite of the damage I didn't have the heart to part the car
out.   It remains stored in a hay barn.    I actually managed to
cobble the remains together enough to drive the car into the hay
barn, although it crabbed a bit getting it there.

Anything can be fixed...  and I've not fully given up on someday
going back into this car armed with torch, saws, MIG welder, and a
bunch of replacement sheet metal just for spite.   And, because it's
a '69 Monza built on the last day of production on the original
Corvair line, October 28, 1968, about 11 AM that morning.

Someday, maybe, sooner or later...  ;)  The fact that it's still here
is reason enough to seriously consider repairing it.

tony..