<VV> WHEELS AND TIRES.

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Thu Oct 26 21:39:04 EDT 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 9:15 PM, BRUCE BLACKMON wrote:

> Today, while at my favorite tire store having the 96 Astro re tired, I
> was indulging in wishful thinking and checking the American Racing
> wheel catalog. I am going to put a set of Torque-Thrust wheels on the
> vert. Good news and bad news, they are still available in 14", BUT by
> special order only, at a much higher price. About $25 to $30 a wheel
> more than a 15", and they are high already.  Problem, will a 15" fit
> on the front of a vair. I always put 14" on my vairs, and only had a
> few problems rubbing on turns some, but they did rub. So basic
> question=====Will a 15x6 Torque Thrust fit on the front of a late
> model??? or is that just too much? I don't want to do any body work to
> make them fit either. Has anyone tried this? Thanks BRUCE

As long as the offset is reasonable a 15 x 6 is not a big wheel to put
on a Corvair. Lots of us run 16 x 8's. I used to autocross with 15 x
8's. I'm sure someone will tell you what you need for offset. You could
probably find it yourself on Bryan Blackwell's web page. 4" is probably
about right.

As for tires, I've always liked 205/60-15's all the way around. They
aren't too much smaller in diameter (about 24.69") than stock (about
25.3") and look nice. You could vary some from that - just get a tire
spec list and see what appeals to you.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina