<VV>Wheelz

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Oct 27 08:54:53 EDT 2006

>I am going to put a set of Torque-Thrust wheels on the
> > vert. Good news and bad news, they are still available in 14", BUT by
> > special order only, at a much higher price.

e-Bay shows 14x6 for $140 and 15x6 for $148. (plus lotsa shipping). Biggest
issue is the 3 3/8" backspacing which is about the same as the 14x6
Snowflakes I have on my 66 and was an interference fit for 195x70x14s
(24.8" diameter) at one turn from straight ahead on the stock steering. I
think if doing again I'd go to a 195x60 which is a half inch shorter (24.2"
diameter for 15").

http://padgett.ws/files/whlclear.jpg shows the clearance after a little
"persuading", was less initially. I have been told that the entire front
crossmember may be able to be moved rearward a bit but did not need to go
to that extreme.

The problem is not just the diameter but the distance from the pivot point
of the wheel to the outer edge of the tread which is a function of
diameter  and backspacing - could go to a considerably larger tire with 4"
backspacing than 3 3/8" however the custom wheel people need to be certain
that the wheel does not touch any park of any car it might mount on so they
usually apply a little Kentucky windage to the backspacing.

YMMV, Notary Sojack,

Padgett