<VV> Cold Draft and Kick Panels /ALERT

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 27 14:49:01 EDT 2006

Hey All, Smitty is usually one of my gurus about Corvairs BUT Ted
Fahrenthold is
my very good friend and a very good paint and body man. Beware of any open cell
material you use anywhere in a Corvair ...........Especially in a
Corvair as they are unit
body and rust in certain areas means Death for the vehicle. Ted has
had vehicles in which
expandable foam was used in an inside of the vehicle application and
the results were
horrendous.

Chuck Armer
////////////////////////////////////////
At 12:42 PM 10/27/2006, you wrote:
>Smitty says:  Having no experience with Lates in the kick panel area
>I don't know of the feasability of this.  I have sealed plenty of
>Earlies and have about made up my mind to try it the next
>time.  That is to use some of that expandable foam in a spray can
>that is used to caulk around house windows.With the earlies
>considerable time can be consumed getting the plastic duct assembly
>wiggled through the opening and most of those have become distorted
>from over tightning to squash what ever sealer is used.  Seems to me
>that putting the duct in place and then squirting foam around the
>edges with the applicator straw before snugging it up would provide
>a good seal.  The stuff expands like crazy for some time after being
>released.  How would this work with a Late?  The foam is not very
>tough and it seems to me it would not create a problem tearing it
>loose when removal is desired.
>///////////////////////////////////////////////////

CORSA Member
CORSA Tri-membership Chairman
Corvair Atlanta Member
Corvair Atlanta BOD