Subject: <VV> Complete Restorations . . . or less, for about the $ame.

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 28 01:11:39 EDT 2006

I'm one of those people who have the complete restoration affliction.
When I'm done I'll have 5-figures in body and paint, and another
5-figures in suspension, engine, and interior.  And this doesn't count
the hundreds of hours of labor my wife and I are putting into the car.
Why?  Partly nostalgia and partly because I've always wanted to restore
a Corvair to a level approaching the high-bucks '60s muscle car
restorations.  But this won't be a trailer-queen, it will be a long
distance road trip car.

Dave Keillor

Hummm...I'm approaching that and all I needed to do was engine, brakes,
and gas tank to have it streetable (runner that had sat garaged for
eight years [with water in the engine for three of those - long sad/mad
story].  Hope to have the engine put back together correctly (another
long, long, long mad-mad story) in the archives as Rebuild II, and some
day, III as everything else is done for the car that would not live.
Currently awaiting funds for purchase of a new cam and gear (probably
not absolutely needed, but what the hay, as long as you're this deep
into the engine - why not?)  I also need to replace the blower bearing
- unless I just want to wait for the sick one to die and then take a
dive back into the engine after 50 - 500 miles . . . nahhhhh.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K