<VV> engine Rebuild planning stage

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Oct 28 11:22:32 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/28/06 5:46:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
phil.wiley at insightbb.com writes:

> I would like to get some feedback on the following engine build. I have
> access to a NOS 304 cam. I am considering the following for a 66 Conv. It will a
> 4 speed, 3:27 rear-end, 13" tires and wheels. I have a set of 140 and 110
> heads. Is this cam a good selection for the combination listed? I want a good
> highway cruiser, that can easily run 70 MPH with room to pass. Anyone with
> experience with this combination using the 140 or the 110 heads would be
> appreciated. Would an after-market cam work better?
>
> Cam is excellent choice. Aftermarket may be better, but not likely for your
purposes. I'd suggest you use the 140 heads as they are superior in performance
over the  110s. The 140 drawback is a greater probability of dropping a seat.
But if the work is done by a Corvair shop the seats should stay in pretty
well. The 140 has greater torque and better detonation control. The 304 cam is
like the production 140 cam but with a higher rpm limit.
Regards,
Bob Helt