<VV> Corvair "ugly"?

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 20:26:00 EST 2006

Corvair "ugly" I have posted in the on-line comments section the following.  I
drew heavily upon my research for my article that appeared in the communique
a while back.

~Bill Stanley

I take exception to your characterizing the Corvair as “ugly”.  I realize
that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” but I would like to take the time
to familiarize you with some of the plaudits and accolades heaped upon the
Corvair by experts for its styling.  In the spring of 1960 the Industrial
Designers Institute (IDI) bestowed upon William L. Mitchell, head of General Motors
styling, their annual design award for his work on the Corvair.
Then, in 1961, Industrial Design magazine bestowed one of its design awards
upon the Corvair Monza in the Transportation category of the magazine’s Annual
Design Review.  Acknowledging that it was the first time that a stock
automobile had been selected in the Annual Design Review since 1955, the magazine
said; “[I]t is a long time since Detroit has produced anything this good.  Its
best feature outside is its refined rear deck; inside it can boast the first (and
still the best-looking) bucket seats in a compact car, and a quiet dashboard.”

Design News magazine, in a 1998 issue, features an article written by
Norihiko Kawaoka, General Manager, Design Department, Product Planning Division,
Mazda Motor Corp.  The author cites six examples of what he regards as excellent
design in a compact car.  The Chevrolet Corvair is one of only six cars he
lauds and the only American car.
Automotive journalist, Robert Cumberford, whose “By Design” column is a
regular feature in Automobile magazine, discussed the design of the first
generation Corvair in the February 2003 issue.  In the article, entitled; “
Good-Looking at Any Speed,” Cumberford sets forth his premise that “[t]he Corvair
wielded influence because of style, not engineering.”  He calls the Corvair’s
styling “seminal” and “low, lean and linear” inspiring copies all over the world.
 He notes the “below-beltline perimeter break line, an artful way to get
maximum perceived length on what was seen at the time as a really small car.”  “
The essence of Corvair design was that it was easily and quickly apprehended.
It made a clear statement, apparently a simple one, although, in fact, there
was a great deal of subtle complexity in the forms and details.  The concave nose
—totally without reference to a radiator grill—was courageous and worked
extremely well, as did the concavity below the perimeter break.  Modeling around
the wheel openings provided a quiet contrast to the very simple side and
sills, and the shaping of sheetmetal for front and rear lights to mount on flat
surfaces was beautifully done.”

In a book published just this year, Significant Mass-Produced Products of the
20th Century, author Carroll M. Gantz includes the 1960 Chevrolet Corvair.
Mr. Gantz is a Fellow of the Industrial Designers Society of America and was
president of IDSA from 1979-80.  He writes; “Chevrolet’s new compact car, the
Corvair…entered the market in 1960, and received a coveted annual design award
from the Industrial Designers Institute (IDI).  To most designers, it was a
welcome innovative design response to compact European imports, and hailed as a
pointed departure from the tail fin and chrome excesses that dominated the
previous decade in Detroit.  Up to now, Detroit cars came in only one size—big.
By contrast, the Corvair was compact, economical, and simple in design;
represented the styling sea change many designers had been hoping for—functionality.”
  Noting the success of the Corvair Monza Mr. Gantz continues; “It became
clear that customers were still attracted to comfort, convenience, and styling.
It was concluded that the initial appeal of the Corvair was not its frugality,
but its difference from the previous monotonous line-up of standard family
sedans.”

The second generation Corvair, also, won plaudits.  The editor of the Italian
quarterly “Style Auto” waxed poetic about the Corvair’s styling in the
magazine’s fall 1965 issue.  David E. Davis, Jr., then editor of Car and Driver
magazine, picked the ’65 Corvair as the second most beautifully styled car in the
whole world—right behind a $16,000 Italian sports car.  This came at a time
when even the top-of-the-line Corvair Corsa retailed for under $2,500.