<VV> Valve rotators

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Sep 1 00:32:50 EDT 2006

At 04:17 hours 08/31/2006, Charles Cromwell wrote:

>We installed rotators on every Corvair that came in
>for a valve job
>  Corvair had a lot of problems with valve burning in
>the 61 thru 64.

Wasn't that the 1st generation valves in '60 and '61?   Those were
the ones that would burn.    GM went with the 2-piece valves in '62
(I think, if memory serves) which used a friction-weld joint between
the mild steel stem and a hardened head.

I think (didn't they?   Anybody?)  the better exhaust valves came
along at the same time as the corporate valve springs instead of
those dinky little springs seen on '60-'61 heads.

Someone correct me if I erred.

>Chevrolet changed the valves to a
>sodium cooled valve to cure the problem.

...I didn't know GM supplied a sodium filled valve for Corvair
engines.  Aftermarket, yes... had some myself, FLAPS down the road
had a pretty decent stash of 'em on the shelves, cheap, brought to my
attention when I drove up in a 'Vair looking for valve guides.    Of
course that was about ten or so years ago...  maybe I need to check
with them again, see if they have any left (unlikely).

tony..