<VV> Compacts in NASCAR

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Sep 1 08:38:06 EDT 2006

>I discovered quite by accident that in 1960 Bill France invited all the
>compacts to race in a Compact Series. Valiants, Falcons, Corvairs and a
>few foreign cars showed up. The Valiants kicked butt

Lot had to do with the superb 170 cid slant 6 engine ("There is no
substitute for cubic inches.") with a long-branch "Hyper Pac" kit that
included a 4 bbl carb. 170 would wind so high that a lot of 225s were blown
by people expecting the same. Chrysler probably had the best engineering
team in the '60s, too bad the bodies seemed to rust through immediately.

Never had one but always liked the styling and the typewriter on the dash.

Padgett