<VV> Ignition system

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Fri Sep 1 09:37:48 EDT 2006

    I have to disagree (partially). Points should last more time working on 6 Volts instead of 12 Volts. Think on volts like on pressure. A cheap garden hose could work easily at 60 psi but, at 120 psi it will fail in a short time. I think it was less expensive to add a resistor wire to cheap points than using better quality points (bean counting) without the resistor and, in the way, it obtains a better spark (momentary) while cranking for easier starts. You can use a 12V. coil (same price) without the resistor wire (I used it on emergency) and it will work fine (for the coil and spark) but, the cheap points will fry in a short time. So, points burning doesn't sound incidental, at least to me. That's why I prefer electronic ignition even if I can easilly make stupid checkings (I did) and fried one.

    Daniel Monasterio

<<Another candidate for a FAQ. The reason you have a resistor wire is because
the ignition system is designed to run on 6 volts and that is so that you
can have a hot spark on a cold morning with a battery that can barely turn
the engine. To do that there is a direct connection from the hot lead on
the starter to the coil. Put 12v to the coil all of the time and it will
melt the insulation eventually (burning the points is incidental and
usually from a bad condenser anyway).>>