<VV> Corvairs at NASCAR

Wade Halsey hihal at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 1 11:09:59 EDT 2006

vpersh at netzero.com wrote:
> I discovered quite by accident that in 1960 Bill France invited all the compacts to race in a Compact Series. Valiants, Falcons, Corvairs and a few foreign cars showed up. The Valiants kicked butt and by 1961 it got so boring that they ended it all. I had never heard of this before and in my searching the internet I can't find any pictures of any of the cars or races. It would be interesting see. Anybody seen any of this anywhere??
> Thanks, Van

Yeah, I heard of it. I was at the 1961 Daytona races, they called that event Sedan Racing I
believe.  I have the old program around here somewhere. The Valiants definitely did kick
butt. The race was run on an abbreviated course through the infield and part of the oval. I
think it was a one hour race and Corvairs were DNF's. Hard to believe that was 45 years ago!
What I remember most was the weather that day---temperature was in the 40's and the wind was
also about 40 MPH. I was a January college graduate and had just bought a new 1961 Corvair
Coupe. Ordered it from the factory; sticker price was $2396.

Wade Halsey:  Corvair owner 1960-2006