<VV> RE: Are recalls (and warranties) just a sales gimmick

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Fri Sep 1 02:18:14 EDT 2006

Unfortunately (not to start another thread), the car was in for another repair at another shop, and mysteriously disappeared while I was waiting for them to work on it.  They claimed that it was there over 90 days and they "disposed" of it.

I never saw her again, and reported to the police as stolen, but they refused, saying it was a civil claim, and the shop won that battle, claiming it was there "over 90 days," which was true.  The fact that they were "working on it" did not faze the lawyer, or the BBB.  Patience is not always a virtue, since, had I not been so patient (and up on the law, re the "90 days" thing) it might not have happened that way.

Several years later, I heard about a "custom Karmann Ghia" show car with a 1969 Corvair 140 in it at the New York Coliseum "Custom Car Show."

I went to the show and talked to the guy showing the car, and looked behind the oil adapter, where it said "W703328" which sure enough was my number.

I made the mistake of commenting that "this is my engine !" (bad move) before I called the police to report the incident.  The car was gone by the time the police got there.

The next time I heard about the engine, I was working for a guy in Smithtown, NY, who had a 1969 140 engine with my number on it, and it, too, mysteriously disappeared before I could do anything about it.

My 1969 Monza convert was named "Stone Poney II" after the demise of my (1st) 1965 Corsa convert, "Stone Poney" (named after Linda Rondstadt's Greenwich Village group, and so-named based on the "pony car" revolution that was happening at the time.

The full VIN was 105679 W 70 3328, making her # 3328 of 6000, built in March or April of 1969.

I have the window sticker in my scrapbook, and I'll scan it in someday.  Do you want a copy of that ?

It was bought at Konner Chevrolet in Levittown, LI, NY.

Sorry for no better news about a 1969, but if it helps fill in the gaps, you're welcome to it. (I thought I had submitted this a long time ago, but I guess not.)

Chaz